Since having Olivia I have been amazed at how different everyday activities are. Going shopping is a whole new experience with a buggy or even a sling.
Before leaving the house there are the questions, such as, how many nappies, wipes and muslin cloths do I need? Have I got a spare outfit in case of leaking nappies? Have I put the nappy cream, hand gel, gloves, hats etc in? Sometimes it would be easier having a suitcase of things just in case! Then there is the issue of the weather and what to dress Olivia in (snowsuit, cosy toes, coat, blanket, extra cardigan), will I need the rain cover or a sunshade? All this before I even find my purse and house keys.
When we finally leave the house, after a final feed and nappy change, we then have to manoeuvre the pushchair through the front door and onto the pavement. It is only since having to push the pushchair along the pavements that I have noticed how hard it can be to get around some of the obstacles. I now look for dropped kerbs so that I can cross the road easily (even when I am on my own)and don't get me started on people walking towards me and expecting me to move into the road so they can get past!
So I eventually get into town and we come across more difficulties. Shop assistants who see you struggling through the narrow gaps between racks of clothes and stopping right in front of you to tidy up a rack of clothes! I have often looked into a shop, decided that I couldn't be bothered to attempt to squeeze round the shop, turned round and gone somewhere else. This is my new way of saving money!
So generally my trips into town are just a long winded way to get Olivia to sleep in her pushchair while I get cross with people and objects getting in my way! There is a lot to be said about using a sling except then where would I put my shopping (no pushchair handles to hang from) and my sling no longer has its sleep inducing powers!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I hate shops with racks etc too close together - I've been known to leave shops if it gets too difficult too get round! I also look for where the kerb dips - reckon I push about 3 stone with the two kids in the p&t! Even a short walk is a workout!
ReplyDelete